With today, I’m starting a new dress project. I was lucky enough to get some gorgeous gold and black flocked taffeta at a “half off clearance sale” – you have to love those kind of sales – and it is an entire bolt, so I’ll have enough to do some experimentation; maybe enough to make two or three different styles using the same fabric. I usually get into the project better by starting with the easiest piece, so I’m constructing a simple underskirt out of black taffeta. The skirt is simple, but the trims will be very complicated and should really make it look very luxurious.

The problem with all of this is that I took my new Brother in to the service department for a look at the automatic needle threader which hasn’t been threading properly for a little while, and to keep working, I’ve had to go back to my very, very old New Home in the meantime. Boy – have I gotten used to the Brother! I keep reaching up to push the automatic thread cutter and it isn’t there! And although the old machine worked very well for me for a very long time, I realize now how clunky it sounded compared to my new machine. I also miss the stitches! All those 400+ stitches I had to choose from and now I have just a few. My Brother should be back from service in a week or two but it’s going to be a long week without her!